Sunday, June 18, 2006

Media crisis averted

Guess what? I went on a vacation to TV Land, and all I got was this
lousy IQ! Seriously though, Matthew would say my "Media IQ" is at a
high point right now; I say I've gained eight pounds and I feel a lot
dumber. But that's OK! Because I'm here to tell you, you're not
missing anything on television.

You're thinking, "But duh Christine; it's summer repeats." Not for me
it's not. I didn't watch it the first time around, so this is all new
material to me. Still gotta tell ya, not that interesting.

The shining light in all this is that when I was sick recently I took
advantage of that time to do a lot more movie watching. Here's my list:

Moulin Rouge
Picture Bride
Crash
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Wedding Singer
The Mummy
Old School

In that order. I may have missed a few though. I can't be sure. It
was a lot of time on the couch, and after a while the butt grooves just
all blend together and you can't remember anymore.

Here's my mini review for each: Moulin Rouge, lots of stuff to look
at, great for no attention span. Picture Bride, not a lot to look at
but very simple, emotional story. There's a lot to connect with if
you've ever felt lost or rootless or if you've ever moved far from
home. Crash. Wow. Way better than I expected actually (yes this was
my first viewing, yes I am really late, yes I love Paul Haggis so I
have no excuse). Raw, abrasive, painful, but restorative. Pirates of
the Caribbean� Move over Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, you
might need to make room in the coveted favorite movie slot. Man I love
costumes and pirates. The Wedding Singer� Why didn't Drew Barrymore
marry Adam Sandler? She loves a funny co-star. The Mummy, I'm sorry,
but there's gotta be at least three slots in the favorite movies shelf.
A librarian-Egyptologist? Be still my beating heart! Old School is
actually better than you remember now that you've forgotten the
impossibly high expectations you developed for it while anticipating
the results of this awesome comic force.

Phew. See, movie critics have it easy! Just kidding. And sure, you
really didn't care about my review of those movies per se, but don't
you feel like you know me even better now? Scary, huh?

Seriously, any time you wanna throw down some Romy and Michele, you let
me know. The DVD doesn�t have a lot of special features, but I'll
totally give you my expert commentary the second time we watch it.
I'll point out all the awesome stuff you missed.

No comments: