Friday, September 22, 2006

My premiere event

This week presented a challenge in marathon time management. I’m afraid I didn’t cram it all in.

It was TV premiere week!

First up was Studio 60, which I didn’t even know I was looking forward to until last week. OK, so Amanda Peet’s sly smile grates on my nerves since she does it non-stop, and so Matthew Perry looks like he’s aged 20 years in the span of a couple, but heck, it was still an awesome cast. And Aaron Sorkin? Love him. I was a West Wing devotee (until if jumped the shark), and I missed the quirky, intelligent, hyper-fast-paced dialog. Bless him and his engaging script. The pilot lived up to everything I would have hoped, even though it’s already getting a few nay-sayers in the press. I hope Studio 60 makes it the full season. With this cast and the creators though, I don’t think NBC is going to pull out on this one any time too soon.

Next to bat was America’s Next Top Model Wednesday night. I missed it. I can’t believe I missed it. Last year Matthew was working evenings, so I was on dog walk responsibilities the whole season. I missed the first half hour of every episode and always felt confused. I caught up on a VH1 marathon last Sunday though. I never would have guessed, but by the end of the marathon, I was actually burned out on ANTM.

What I did instead on Wednesday night was actually of significantly higher importance than America’s Next Top Model, if you can believe it. Wednesday, Matthew and a group of other scooterists and I went to a Chicago motorcycle legal aid society meeting to talk about two-wheel parking regulations in the city. It was really helpful and gave us some great ideas on where to start as scooterists and how to cooperate with motorcyclists. Even though they were some pretty hardcore guys with nicknames like “Doc,” “Legs,” and “Cowboy,” they were very friendly and welcoming. We liked connecting with other riding enthusiasts on legal issues that we all need to work on to enact change.

Thursday. Oh Thursday. It proved to be a difficult TV day. My Name is Earl, The Office, Grey’s Anatomy, and then ER. Phew! ER has been totally over-the-top melodrama for years, but it was still a good episode. At least I cared about the ordeals the characters were experiencing, as opposed to how uninvolved I’ve felt with characters in the past. And oh, the Meredith-McDreamy saga continues. The whole part with the character named Omar and his wife dying, I didn’t get that. It was pretty tacked on it seemed.

And thus brings us to Friday. There’s a book out called something like “No One Cares What You Ate for Lunch and 100 Other Topics Not to Write on Your Blog.” I probably need to buy it. I’m sure no one really cares what I watched on TV this week, but you read it, right? Ha ha! Suckers! Just kidding, I love you.

And tonight is a party with actual people instead of TV characters. A cowboy themed party. And I don’t have a thing to wear! I’ll find a bandana and be a train robber.

No comments: