Sunday, July 01, 2007

A few bits

1. Moving prep is going well. Husband is packing a lot of his things. I work two jobs, so on my day off, Saturday, I work as hard as I can at home. Last time around my company paid to have us packed and moved, end-to-end. The problem was they labeled every box "Misc." and threw any random things in boxes together. Although it was amazing to not do any of the work, it was an eye opening experience. Now I am taking care to label very thoroughly and to pack like things together, emphasizing the things that don't need to be opened right away so they can sit around as long as I like.

2. My current job ends July 13, which gives us two solid weeks at the end of the month to pack like banshees. I look forward to it sucking. My therapist and I are working on strategies to not go insane. I hope I can remember his awesome advice.

3. Knowing my job is almost over, being here is like being harshly prodded with a fork. I don't actually hate my job or anything, but having one foot out the door is the most unmotivating thing I've experienced yet in my life. I whine about everything. "You mean I have to turn my computer on ... ?" Yeah, I actually do. I still have work to do, whether it's motivating or not. Here is where my Irish work ethic kicks in: resist labor. I wish I had one of those protestant work ethics I hear so much about, but I ain't made that way.

4. I'm moving to a part of the country where I can say "ain't" and it ain't considered quirky. I look forward to that. I also look forward to saying "might could." And "up the way a piece." I also look forward to perople not freaking out when I say "Yes sir" or No ma'am." People in Chicago HATE "sir" and "ma'am," which I find really odd. Here they call each other "chief." I also find that really odd. They also say "couple few" to describe a possible numerical count of things. That slays me. And they refer to a pair of scissors as "a scissors." Which is a singular modifier thingy attached to a plural word. Makes me batty. Oh, and "a garbage can" is "a garbage."

5. I've started saying most of the Chicago-isms, so my voice and mannerisms are a horrible and confusing mixture of Southern and Chicagoan. The net result is that no one can understand me when I speak.

6. We went camping in Eastern Ohio last weekend. When we got home, I washed grass clipping out of places I'd prefer they'd not have been. I don't know how they got there. I was quite disturbed.

7. I need to sell my car. Anyone want an excellent 1995 Honda Accord? E-mail me. It's a great car.

P.S. My birthday is July 5. Send me cakes. Don't send me fruit flower bouquets. I'm allergic to pineapple.

No comments: