Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It’s the big things in life

I’m taking a stick-on skin patch anti-depressant. It’s supposed to cause fewer side effects than its oral equivalent because the medicine enters your blood stream directly instead of having to go through the digestive system and the liver and stuff. The anti-d comes with strict instructions, which include six pre-approved application sites and the warning to never apply to the same location twice in a row.

My first week I was in a panic. I wanted so much for the new medication to work for me and for the patch to save me the side-effect problems I’d heard rumors of, but it wasn’t sticking. This, of course, made me more depressed. Which is what an anti-depressant is supposed to do, right?

My final two location points were girl one and girl two. It worked! I couldn’t believe, but I could finally get the patch to stick and alternate!

Today I had my follow up with my p-doc. I pointed, laughing, “The only places I could get the patch to stick were here and here.” And I totally got my psychiatrist to look at my boobs. Definite highlight of the day.

2 comments:

TonyN said...

Drugs are supposed to help the problem, not add to it. For sure!

Why are my over-the-counter sinus pills such a pan to pop out of that foil packaging? I'm already head-poundy, snotty and grumpy, for Pete's sake! Why is a medicine adding to the problem? Waagh!

For the record, it is in my unscientific opinion that off-brand ones are harder to open than the name-brand. So now you know where the extra money goes…

Christine Why said...

I completely agree that the generics are harder to open. My husband is pro-generic, but I can't make him understand how hard the things are to open. I keep a pair of cuticle scissors by the Wal-dryl.