Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So fickle

How is it that Resolutions never last? Cease fires. Peace treaties. Border agreements. And, most dreaded of all, New Year’s.

I resolved to lose weight and cut back on caffeine this year. Losing weight is only partly for vanity. My mom was just diagnosed as being on the slippery slope to Type II diabetes, so, I thought, hey, maybe it would be good for me to not even have to go there at all. And the caffeine always seems to make me feel worse in the long run, so why do it for the short-term? Noble, indeed.

Today was the day of the inevitable. My bodily border disputes flared up again, and I ate chocolate covered popcorn, and I’m currently drinking my second cup of coffee. Yeesh.

I know that I am not supposed to look at this as the fatal flaw, but instead see it as a little stumble in my progression, but it’s been like a week since I actually started this whole shenanigans, and already I’m facing road blocks.

Everyone else falling down on their resolutions? I usually don’t make any just so that I can’t fail at anything, but this year it just seemed so necessary and poignant.

OK. Tomorrow is another day, and I’ll get it right.

2 comments:

TonyN said...

New Year's resolutions are bunk. The notion is good, but when we make these things (and I've made a few myself) attached to an annual date, we set ourselves up for failure.

So, the heck with January 1st. You should dust yourself off and make a January 22nd resolution. You had a minor set-back. So what? Just try again. If you falter again in a few weeks, then just reset again. 21 steps forward and one step back, is way better than 21 steps forward and 344 steps back.

If we anchor self-improvement to once a year, that doesn't give us many opportunities in our short lives, right?

eeny meeny said...

Lowering caffeine, sugar and alcohol were my resolutions. If you use the word "lower" then it's easier to succeed. hahaha