Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Holy update

Remember when I told you about all the holes I had poked in me? I have a new medical hole. A foot hole.

I went to my dermatologist because I thought I had a wart on the sole of my foot. She said it wasn't a wart, but that I stepped on something, and it was stuck. We opted to treat it like a wart and use the freezy stuff anyway since that would make whatever it was fall out.

The only problem with the plan was that nothing was falling out. The frozen skin developed a tough callous that just wasn't budging. And then a blood blister started building up behind it, which made it painful, but the callous still wouldn't fall off.

Yesterday, I went in for emergency follow-up. A nice guy with two med students came in to attend my foot. He ended up cutting out the callous in a perfectly inverted cone and letting the stuff behind the callous drain out. One med student gripped my arm and said, "You'd be great in surgery." I think he was referring to my stiff-upper-lip approach to foot-hole carving.

The net result is that now my foot hurts even worse than when I went in to complain about it hurting! I can barely walk. I'm hobbling around like a wuss trying not to put pressure on my new foot hole. Which sucks because I'm a reference librarian and eventually *someone* is going to expect me to get out of my chair. I have sympathetic friends to fetch me coffee, but I do have to pull my weight on the job at some point. I'll just be pulling it slowly and haltingly, staggering like a movie hunchback.

No comments: