Tuesday, March 27, 2007

My name is Christine Wy, and I'm on a diet

I joined Weight Watchers. It was time. My husband said to me the other night, “I’m so glad you’re doing this. Your body was making you so unhappy, but I didn’t know how to help you. I’m glad you’re able to take control of this.”

I cried. A little. I made myself not cry a lot. And he’s been so super supportive of this, eating strange new things that I cook instead of worrying about making two meals.

If you looked at me, you might say I was chubby. But I’m actually not. Technically, I’m just on the scale side of being obese. You’d be surprised, looking at me. “If that’s obese,” you’d think, “then what is the rest of America?” Just more obese, I guess.

This is my biggest (pun intended) coming out on my blog to date. I’ve always admitted to my germ neuroses, which I personally think is just over the scale of normal behavior, but there are so many secrets I keep from my blog readers. I fear the interweb monster. I know it chews people up and leaves them damaged or cynical. I don’t want that.

Christine Wy is fun, and maybe a little mean, but mostly Christine Wy laughs at herself. The real Christine, the not pseudonym Christine, laughs at herself too, but the real Christine is meaner to herself and more judgmental of her choices. Christine Wy is my escape into an ideal place where I can be silly and stupid and serious but not get trapped by reality.

Real Christine is on Weight Watchers now. I hope it’s a good trip, and one we can make together--without making this a diet blog.

PS today is my second weigh-in. I'm praying for two pounds lighter. I feel mentally two pounds lighter (hopefully my brain isn't losing weight!), but the scale will tell the truth. I'm scared and excited. I feel like I'm making good progress, but it's still so daunting.

No comments: