Saturday, November 01, 2008

Skipping the obvious

I should probably have said something about Halloween. It’s just one of those things that ought to be mentioned. Taken pictures of me and Matthew in our “ghoulish outfits” to share.

As an aside, I wore Matthew’s old Misfits t-shirt with the Crimson Ghost skull on the front. People were really scared of me. It was supposed to be in good fun, but, um, it was taken a little too seriously. I felt the mother grip your child tighter syndrome all around me. And the don’t make eye contact thing.

I have nothing to say about Halloween in particular. I saw my psychiatrist and my psychologist on the same day, and it was absolutely draining. I had nothing left for fun on Halloween.

We were supposed to listen to a special radio performance of War of the Worlds, but I fell asleep. We were supposed to sing karaoke, but I didn’t have it in me. I was the definition of wet blanket. No fun. All my emotions were used up in therapy. Well, except unhappy emotions that felt shame and guilt over being mentally ill, but none of the good ones that want to sing were there.

Halloween was only fun for getting mental health more in order. No candy sprees, no costumes, no parties, just me, Matthew, the dog and cat, and a comfy couch with lots of pillows. Maybe that was all I needed. I hope it was enough for Matthew.

No comments: