Sunday, April 12, 2009

The lady condescends

I’m talkin to a guy who obviously has an accent. Somehow the accent comes up in conversation, and he says, “Besides, no one can understand me.”

I could understand him clearly, but whatev. I asked, “Where are you from?”

“Sierra Leone.”

Brain wheels start churning badly, and fortunately my Thought Filter was semi-functional that day.

“Blood diamonds!” Brain shouted.

“Shh!” via Filter.

“Forced child labor!” Brain again.

“Quiet!” Filter says.

“Civil war!”

“I’m getting tired of this,” Filter exhales.

“Ooh! The fighting, is your family OK?” Actual mouth says. “D’oh!” Filter says. “That’s some nicely condescending National Geographic crap--assuming he considers himself lucky to escape some horror.”

Polite gentleman: “It’s safe. There hasn’t been fighting in years.”

Brain: “Yeah, like two, right?”

Filter: “Shut the fark up already!”

No comments: