Saturday, March 25, 2006

Collectable and juciey

I love word games. I love seek-and-find, I love word jumbles, I love Hugger-Mugger, I love Scrabble. Love, love, love! Few people like to play Scrabble or Hugger-Mugger with me though, because I usually beat the pants off them, and I have such a good time playing that it seems to make other people feel bad that they can�'t compete with my linguistic prowess. I hate to sow unhappiness among my friends, but usually the desire to Scrabble wins out over any pity I feel for them.

Matthew and I dined at Red Lobster in the suburbs on a Friday evening not long ago. We had a long wait ahead of us, so I got a children�'s placemat and a packet of crayons to entertain myself. It turned out there was a word game on the placemat! Yay for me! The game says, �"How many words can you spell from the letters in the words �HUMPBACK WHALE?"�� Chalk, heal, bleak, black, bleach, bump, whelp, walk, blame, camel, amble, blue, humble, help, haul, chump, peach, cabal, pale, leap, bale, lack, chew, whack, wham, clean, banal, canal, capable. Pretty good, huh? I even omitted a few obvious words to make the challenge harder. My two favorites are humble and capable.

There�'s also ample opportunity for word entertainment walking down the streets of Chicago. Today I saw a sign that advertised "�Juciey beef."� I loved it. Matthew said, �"Wow, that�'s spelled so incorrectly I can'�t even remember how to spell �juicy!"�� I reminded him. I even tried to photograph the sign surreptitiously (the employees could clearly see me), but it turns out that I don�t have the proper cell phone account to e-mail my pictures. The hilarious sign is trapped in my mobile. At least its memory can make me laugh, as I shop for "�Collectables and antiques.�"

No comments: