Thursday, March 30, 2006

There were never more devoted sisters

Everyone says to me that they are so surprised my sister and are-—sisters. We look very different on first glance. She has a sweetheart shaped face and an adorable button nose, and I have a long oval face and the nose of a Roman senator. She has strawberry kissed blonde curly hair and I have the straightest dishwater blonde hair you’ve ever seen. Where we match are our almond eyes in the perfect green and our Cupid’s arrow mouths.

My friends from college once ate at an Indian restaurant in the Highlands neighborhood in Louisville, Kentucky. They saw a woman there who looked just like a clone of me, and knowing my sister lived nearby they both craned their necks to stare at this woman through their entire meal and speculated that she must be my sister. My friends told me this story and laughed at the conclusion when they said “so if your sister complains that when she was eating at an Indian restaurant, these two weirdos wouldn’t quit staring at her, then that was us!” I got very serious and said, “that’s great, but my sister and I don’t look alike at all.” This made us laugh even harder. Imagine some poor young woman who coincidentally looks like me being stared down during an otherwise pleasant evening out by a young married couple!

But more than our physical selves, people often say that my sister and I are nothing alike in our personalities. This is what surprises me most. I can look at our images together in a photograph and see where we look very different, but looking at her personality is like looking into a mirror. I used to just laugh along with other people and say “yeah we are really different,” but I’ve learned to say that we are like perfect opposites. Whatever is on the inside with her appears on the outside with me, and whatever is on the inside with me shows on the outside with her. For example, people think that my sister is very serious and that I am not. This could not be further from the truth. My sister is a secret goof-ball who loves whimsical things and has a quick sense of humor. I act like a goof-ball but in secret I am very intense about studying and educational activities. If I’m not learning, then I can hardly be having fun. She appears very buttoned down, but she’s really open-minded and tolerant. Me? I look like a wild child, but I’m really uptight.

She likes Sudoku. I like crossword.

What really makes us sisters is how much we love each other despite the years of grudges we could hold if we wanted to. Well, she could hold a million years worth of grudges if she weren’t such a great person. I don’t have a thing on her though. She’s always been perfect.

(P.S. Happy Birthday!)

No comments: