Saturday, March 25, 2006

More sushi smells

What is it with me and bad smell luck at my favorite sushi joint? We sat at the bar last night. I don�'t mind sitting at the bar, but it'�s not my favorite place to sit. I usually like it because we can count on being fairly alone and not crowded in with lots of close-sitting tables. Friday night was too busy though, so we ended up with lots of folks sitting beside us. Lo and behold, the woman seated immediately to my left smelled awful. What a bummer.

The first thing I noticed as she breezed in was the odor of stale cigarette smoke. Strike one. Next I realized that she smelled like she needed to go to the dentist very badly. I honestly thought she smelled like plaque. Foul ball. But then she started talking with her companion about a very complicated lesbian love triangle. Line drive base hit! The gist of it was that stinky girl has the misfortune of being in love with someone very wishy-washy who claims to not be sure who she'�s really in love with. It ameliorated my desire to relocate, but was too teen-angsty to really be a great story. It sounded like wishy-washy girl isn'�t going to stay a lesbian for very long, but she likes all the attention she'�s getting right now. Poor stinky lesbian. She has no idea how much she'�s wasting her time.

Matthew missed the real fireworks though. While he was in the restroom washing his hands, a very loud, twitchy woman jumped up and demanded to know why the table next to her had their food already and she didn'�t. Oh! A public scene that makes everyone uncomfortable! Of course, this is a Japanese restaurant and their culture seems to preclude any exciting Chicago-American style clashes, so it didn'�t end as thrillingly as it began. But boy oh boy was she loud and irritated for a few seconds there! Matthew was really sad to have missed out on the fun. I was sad that the restaurateurs didn�t engage her in a real Chicago-style shouting match. However they handled it, it was quiet and polite, and I missed all the drama.

In the end, it was a fabulous meal. The last time we ate at that restaurant we were both very disappointed in the quality of the fish. Last night, everything was perfect. Absolutely delicious. Now if next time we can combine perfect fish with perfect un-stinky seat location, I'�ll be on cloud nine.

No comments: