Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I know you can't carry me now

There are the times that I want to talk to you, and then there are the times when it’s OK to call. Like now. I need you. Just something simple, something stupid, to ask you about a book. But it’s 1 am and you’re asleep.

I want to reach you on shared ground, but we can’t seem to get that footing lately. We both slip and end up somewhere else. Do you feel it? Or is it just me?

We share a piece of soul, but what I wanted from you this Christmas was peace of mind. I didn’t get that. Sometimes you give it and sometimes you give intellectually to my emotional needs. Like ice water through a sieve, you chill me and there’s nothing to hold onto. You give me no purchase.

But not all the time. It’s not always like this. I want to rewind and start over. I want to draw a line in time and say, “That happened in the past, and in the future we’ll grow like this….”

Is that a phone call I can make? Can I create that barrier on my own and carry you over, or do we both need to use our legs? Make the bridge that piece of our shared soul. Walk with me.

No comments: