Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sorry team

Matthew thought that post about the panopticon was so sad that he came into the room where I was working and gave me a big hug. He asked if I was OK. I wondered if he was OK.

He said, "I just read your last post and I'm so sorry sweetie. You're smart too."

I laughed. I wasn't upset, I just thought it was something to write about.

Here's how it happened: I used to be a crazy grammar-correcting language snob (I guess now I'm just a snob!). Someone wrote to me and pointed out some bad grammar on my blog (which I haven't corrected). It made me feel kind of sad that I didn't notice it myself. I thought about how I used to know so much more about grammar, but now that I'm not in school any more it's just not as relevant to my daily life to remember the 63 rules of the comma. My brain does other things now. Like roast marshmallows and sing '80's jukebox hits. Reflecting on my grammar backslide inspired me to write the college brains story.

My apologies if I scared anyone else. I promise my self-esteem is in the same place where it usually is, for better or worse. Thanks for the hugs, though!

No comments: