Thursday, October 18, 2007

Christine, Christine, so contrary

Contrariness update one.

I’ve been wanting dreadlocks for a while. I decided that when we moved to Florida, I would assess my job situation, then go for professionally upgraded hair. Matthew and I discussed it, and he felt that not only would it enhance my already high cuteness factor, but that I also have the type of job where I get to be eccentric and it’s cute (god bless being the only archivist on campus). I told my library work friend about my plan, and she went a little bananas. “Dreadlocks are disgusting. They’re dirty. You know you can’t wash your hair, right? There’s parasite in Florida that you don’t know about. You could get infected.” She then showed me a picture of her daughter at approximately age 12 with the rattiest looking dreadlocks I’ve seen since my hippie days. “See how bad it looks?”

What happens to Christine when she hears “No”? Her brain turns it into “I’m doing it right NOW, sucka foo!!!”

I like this library chick, and her daughter’s cool, but there are a couple of things working in my favor that didn’t seem to happen for her daughter. I’m having my dreads professionally done. I know that you can wash them and that they don’t have to be dirty. I know that they don’t have to be ratty and that they can be smooth and kinda classy lassy, just like me. I know that one doesn’t need to worry about Florida parasites if one is clean. Eww.

The earliest date I can get my dreadlocks is Saturday night, though. I’ve been waiting a week! How can I stand the burning pressure of the need for defiance? And guess who’s going to be the first person at work to see my dreads… the anti-dread friend. I’m so excited and eager that I actually dreamt about it this morning. I don’t remember the dream, just that there were dreadlocks and I was happy. This is one thing I’m not doing just to be contrary, she just happened to accelerate the plan.

I also just realized that I wasn’t going to tell my family, and if they *actually* read my blog (doubtful), they’ll know my secret… The perk of living so far from home is that it’s easier to keep secrets.

6 comments:

meinemo said...

So, the concerns I talked about in my email this morning have (hopefully) been taken care of. Good luck, Christine. I hope you look and feel great!

hope delaney said...

Yay for locks!
'Course you can wash your hair with dreadlocks! It's just an urban myth that non-hippy people associate with hippy or near-hippy or ex-hippy or leaning toward the hippy.
Everyone goes thru a little of the 'ugly' stage when they're first taking shape, and hey, you could wear cute hats to add to the 'high cuteness' -- I like that phrasing, by the way. Can't wait to see a picture!

hope delaney said...

Um, I didn't mean to insinuate that your dreads will be ugly -- I just meant there's always a messy stage at first - but maybe you're avoiding that with the professional hairdresser!
Okay, pulling foot out of mouth.

Christine Wy said...

No offense taken, save that foot for a different after-convo snack or something!

My "stylist" swears the dreads will look amazing for the first three months, and that then the rest is up to me. But, yeah, I might need to get crackin on sewing some hats! Good thing it's cooling off (a little) in Florida, so maybe the hat thing won't be totally heinous.

Anonymous said...

If the dreads aren't laying down by the 31st, you could go as Sideshow Bob for Halloween! :)

Anonymous said...

Caught you! I can't wait to tell everyone in the family!

See, when you wrote that no one would know, I said something along the lines of "I'm doing it right NOW, sucka fool!!!" But, since I have Pitbull's Fuega swimming around in my brain it came out like, "so you think you a cutie, cuz you got dreadz? well listen up cutie, don't lose your head..."

I love the Sideshow Bob idea. Please dress up like Sideshow Bob. Please.

And yes, you are a cutie.

-your brother