Tuesday, October 30, 2007

which hurts more? broken heart or broken leg?

I just sent this e-mail out to my friends. I'm too lazy (high on pain pills) to write a real story for my blog. The irony is that I wrote to whine about coffee, finished my coffee, then... you'll see.

ok, so you probably know me well enough to know that i'm a fabulous klutz. really, i
like to refine it to an art form, which i will demonstrate to you now.

monday was one of my days off. i was leisurely drinking coffee, finished a novel i was reading, and i was getting ready to take a shower. i decided to finish one last tiny little art project before i got in the shower. just one last thing. i went upstairs to get the accessory i needed, and then i went back downstairs to finish the project.

except i didn't descend the staircase properly.

somewhere around stair two or three, i lost my balance or slipped or something and went careening toward the floor. it all happened so fast, i can't even tell you the cause or how it happened or where i landed. what i can tell you is that i broke my leg.

yep. i told you i'd take clumsiness to a new level, didn't i?

it turns out i broke my tibia, which it turns out is the load bearing bone in the ankle, so i can't put even the wee tiniest pressure on my foot. i was told by the orthopedic (bone doctor guy, however you spell it), that i was quite lucky. the break was millimeters away from requiring extensive reconstructive surgery. so i guess in all my bad luck, i've got some good luck in there somewhere too.

i am manditorily off work for a week. i have been temporarily confined to the second
floor of our house for that week because the bathroom is upstairs and i'm REALLY bad at crutches. plus i just shouldn't move and all that stuff.

so i have my crutches to limp around on, and my health insurance bought me a walker, so all in all i'm doing ok. the only problem is getting back to work. my weekend job isn't very hard, but my weekday job is in a tiny cramped office, and i don't see how i can work on any of my projects there.

i would also really like to shower, but it's going to be a two person thing, involving garbage bags and duct tape.

matthew's being a saint. i feel terrible, like i'm taking advantage of him, but, i just can't move without terrible pain.

oh yeah, you probably want to know if it hurts. yes, it does. i know that there are
worse pains in the world and worse broken bones, but i'm in pain. i don't really know how to describe it, except that it feels like i broke my tibia near the ankle. and that's what it is.

the best part of the story: for some reason they fast-tracked me in the emergency room. i didn't have to sit in my courtesy wheelchair and wait forever while sniffling people went ahead of me. it went fast for emergency room treatment. my actual dr. was a jerk though. he was like "you broke your tibia. we don't put on casts here. you have to make an appointment with one of these doctors to get a cast. good luck." everyone else was super nice though, so he was just balancing them out i guess.

and to conclude, they gave me very few very weak pain pills, so i'm depressed about what i'm gonna do when the pills run out. my leg had better feel less painful by then!

finally, i'm writing this on pain medication, so i hope it makes sense and there aren't too many typos.

send me air hugs and love. and pray that i don't get bedsores since only one position is comfortable!

your injured friend,
christine wy

2 comments:

hope delaney said...

Oh Jesus! Sorry to hear about your leg... Now you can have some devoted time to that novel you were planning to write...

Anonymous said...

Christine! I hope you have a super-speedy recovery.