Monday, June 23, 2008

The Un-Kenneth

While at the HoopGirl workshop in St. Petersburg, I received the eerie message that “Kenneth wants to be your friend.” I've had a few people from my past get in touch with me through myspace, so I thought "No way! Is it really Kenneth from high school?" I figured I'd add him as a friend just to spy on his website and laugh at him, feeling some sort of decades-old sense of closure.

Kenneth broke my heart. He knew I was so teenage in love with him, but he was cruel to me on purpose. I had the stoopid teenage idea that if I waited long enough, Kenneth would come around.

Thank you merciful heavens that Kenneth didn’t change his mind about me, because I ended up marrying the coolest guy ever, and I’m glad I don’t have a memory of a wretched teenage romance to soil my brain.

Oh, no, wait, I have plenty of those wretched teenage romance stores in my brain, but Matthew scrubs them all clean. No matter what I remember, I can always think, “but now I’ve got Matthew.”

And, for your closure, it wasn’t Kenneth from high school. It was some random dude out fishing. He did have nice dreadlocks in his avatar photo though.

No comments: